Insidious erosion of identity/heritage

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Mark

Insidious erosion of identity/heritage

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Just got back from a magnificent stank, across the Gump and up to Chûn!
Very boggy today on the Gump and not helped by the huge swathes of moorland destroyed by some form of enormous vehicle, leaving the stanker facing massive ponds and super deep mud to traverse.
Why not just churn the whole thing up and have done with it? :evil:
Then I get home and decide to have a look at some aerial photos of Chûn online, type it into Ggl and what do I see?

STONES OF ENGLAND
http://www.stonepages.com/england/chuncastle.html

:x :evil: :x :evil:
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Marhak

Re: Insidious erosion of identity/heritage

Post by Marhak » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Dreadful, isn't it? Built more than 1,200 years before an English foot ever trod on Cornish soil!

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Saw something about remains 'from Saxon times' in a field where I played. Think I'll crack a bottle of the juice of the barley.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:48 pm

One "Beaker" burial of c.2000BC extracted a beaker that still had solidified residue on its inside surfaces, some of which was scraped off and analysed. This revealed that the departed had been sent to the next world with a mugful of heavily strong barley wine.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:45 pm

They didn't call them the Beaker Folk for nothing, then.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:10 pm

It does show how far back the Celtic love of alcohol and brewing goes (and yes - Celtic was spoken in Britain as far back as that, and earlier, too. One day, we'll be rid of the Victorian "Celts didn't inhabit Britain until the Iron Age" rot, but old myths die hard).