Adding Cornish to Google Translate

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Re: Adding Cornish to Google Translate

Post by Evertype » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Anselm wrote:It'll take a very, very large corpus indeed to make it work properly.
I've published many hundreds of thousands of words of Cornish.

spelly

Post by spelly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:47 pm

In an orthography that no-one else uses, which must be a first for any language revived or not, KS is a one man (with two heads) vanity project.

carrek

Post by carrek » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Tim, I don't need to be told what a machine translator can and can't do.

If someone uses a machine translation for an important sign or document, it's not the machine's fault, it's the person's fault for being a moron and not getting a professional translation.

We can either join in like every other language does and help develop the technology while enjoying the benefits a major global internet company supporting Cornish would bring or we can sit here like lemons and do nothing. Frankly I'm amazed we're even having this discussion. Is this the same attitude you've had over the past 20 years?

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:03 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised, not only that you take my points (and reiterate some of them), but now join me in warning of the risks inherent in an uncautious embrace of a technology as yet not fit for purpose.
Da yn-hwir godhvos ow konvedhed yn-hwell es dell dybyen vy. Martesen ytho y tal dhyn prederi a isyow gonys an devnydhyow ma a-barth agan yeth ni, mes peryll mars yw dhe Gembrek neb a'n jeveus kansow a vilyow a gowsoryon, terroes a vydh dhe Gernewek heb displegyansow lower ha pals. Bysi dhyn ni oll perthi kov a henna a-derr peonya yn-unn hartha warlergh pub kampoell a isyow hag a dhevisyow arnowydh.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:09 am

Sowdhen yn-hwir y'm beus, hag ynwedh lowena, ow kweles bones genes skians yn kever an materyow ma. Ny allsa nagonan dysmygi henna a'n peth a lavares. Mes na fors fatell vo, bysi yw dhyn prederi a isyow gorra hemma war ober gans meur a rach.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

GanO

Post by GanO » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:22 pm

'Things...' wrote,
...This is a HUGE opportunity!...Now, can someone who cares about the language please make a comment on this great opportunity where we can all come together and create something truly exciting for our language.
Indeed, this sort of project may well be a 'HUGE' and brilliant idea. However, the core problem with the Cornish language Revival, imo, is not a lack of ideas that are HUGE or brilliant (or even merely goodish).

There's no lack of IDEAS and OPPORTUNITIES at all. They're quite easy to come by. There's especially no lack at all (as the archives of this forum will attest) of "GREAT ideas that someone else might be able to implement".

Instead, what there's a sad lack of in general is *people*, and (in particular) a lack of people with the skills, time, energy and resources to implement a particular idea or scheme or notion, be it ever so HUGE, and to do it NOW rather than 'dreckly' through someone else's efforts.

This is why, over the last year or so, a few of us have pooled our actual skills to get Gwask an Orlewen up and running. We've focussed our energies both short-term on achieving what's actually achievable right now, as well as longer-term on developing the skills and resources for what we'd like to achieve in due course. The result of this joint effort is that as of today, a mere 5 months after our launch at Gorseth Kernow in Porth Ya last September, we now have FIFTEEN Cornish (or Cornish-related) works published. They're in 2 Cornish orthographies and 3 languages, and the latest 3 will go on sale at the Agan Tavas 'Pensethen an Yeth' in a couple of weeks' time.

And, because we're also working towards what we aim will become do-able next month, season or year, the best is yet to com --mar myn Dew!

So, 'Things...', what I'd respectfully suggest from my own experience is, rather than merely dreaming about the HUGE things that might be achieved through other people's skills and sweat, that you concentrate on what YOU could ACTUALLY achieve through your own skills and sweat right now, or in the foreseeable future.

And, if your own skills aren't currently fit for the task, well there's nothing to stop you from either choosing a task that they are fit for, of from developing them till they are fit -- as some of us on this forum have long been doing.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:49 am

spelly wrote:In an orthography that no-one else uses, which must be a first for any language revived or not, KS is a one man (with two heads) vanity project.
Plenty of people buy the books. You, indeed, buy them. (Thanks.)

Reading is one form of use.

SalaciousCrumb

Post by SalaciousCrumb » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:25 am

Hello Steve. Back again?

Nyaaaaaa, haa, haa, haa, haaaaa!

spelly

Post by spelly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:39 am

oh. crumb boy I really missed your gorgeous mug,I am sure you are the most handsome member of a Agan Tavas.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:04 am

That description counts me out, then.

GanO

Post by GanO » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:38 pm

It's a curious thing about that word 'member'. There's a pun in Gàidhhlig which works just as well in English: the Gàidhlig for an M.P. is 'Ball Pàrlamaid can easily be read to mean "Parliamentary Pricks".

Could it be a universal phenomenon that voters think their elected representatives are a bunch of 'penises'?

However to return to Reeves's ignorant canard, from my own experience the good folk in Agan Tavas (even the elected committee ...ahem... members) lack one and all this metaphorical prick-hood he seems to suggest. A nice friendly group of enthusiasts for the language and culture of Cornwall.

Perhaps that's why the hippophilic Marhak is a member while a certain cornubophobic Newfie ain't.

Bedhens yndella bynary!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Thank you, kind sir.

SalaciousCrumb

Post by SalaciousCrumb » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Now, now young Reeves. I thought we were playing nicey, nicey before your most recent expulsion.
As to my membership of a language organisation, as I've said before, I have little to do with the language and everything to do with you. I'm not a member of AT, nor the Kesva, nor the Cussel, I'm only here for you.

Nyaaaa, haaa, haaaa, haaaaaa!

SalaciousCrumb

Post by SalaciousCrumb » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Shall we return to the subject of Google Translate?

GanO

Post by GanO » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 am

p.s. 'Things…", one of the skills you clearly possess is the imagination to think 'outside the box' and come up with fresh ideas. This is truly praiseworthy!

Please don't take my earlier comments as a put-down; I didn't intend them to be so, but just to urge you to focus and channel your evident talents and enthusiasm into projects that you actually can and do achieve.

We know about put-downs in Gwask an Orlewen, having had loads of them for the last year or so, such as:

"You really shouldn't be publishing in THIS orthography because blah blah blah" (i.e. it's not MY favourite orthography)
"Everyone in the Revival should support the same orthography" (i.e. the one *I* prefer)
"Oh, look, you've got a spelling mistake on page 72." (which wouldn't have happened if you'd used the improved orthography of MY choice)
"By supporting all the trad orthographies, G an O will have a divisive influence on the Revival" (which, of course, wouldn't happen if you had the sense to only support MY preferred orthography!)

B0ll0cks! We just go ahead and do it anyway; and guess what? Our books actually sell fairly well, so some people are showing their approval in the most tangible way they can -- with their cash!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr