Cornish Twitter/Facebook

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
User avatar
Kitto
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by Kitto » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm sure this has been said many times before but have you guys ever tried to translate Facebook or Twitter into Cornish?

carrek
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by carrek » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Kitto wrote:I'm sure this has been said many times before but have you guys ever tried to translate Facebook or Twitter into Cornish?
Yes it has been looked into. The only way it can be done is if Twitter and Facebook allow community translations. Which neither of them do.

User avatar
Kitto
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by Kitto » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:18 pm

carrek wrote:
Kitto wrote:I'm sure this has been said many times before but have you guys ever tried to translate Facebook or Twitter into Cornish?
Yes it has been looked into. The only way it can be done is if Twitter and Facebook allow community translations. Which neither of them do.
I'm pretty sure Facebook does, I'm sure I've seen them ask for help with translations?

http://www.insidefacebook.com/2008/04/0 ... -language/

What about Cornish Google? Not the Google Translator, but just the Google home page.

carrek
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by carrek » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Kitto wrote:
carrek wrote:
Kitto wrote:I'm sure this has been said many times before but have you guys ever tried to translate Facebook or Twitter into Cornish?
Yes it has been looked into. The only way it can be done is if Twitter and Facebook allow community translations. Which neither of them do.
I'm pretty sure Facebook does, I'm sure I've seen them ask for help with translations?

http://www.insidefacebook.com/2008/04/0 ... -language/
It does let people submit translations but only to languages it agrees to. There's no Cornish option. However, there is a "Pirate" and an "Upside-down English" option. They must be far more important.
Kitto wrote:What about Cornish Google? Not the Google Translator, but just the Google home page.
That has also been looked into. There is a Corsican version, and a Cornish version has been requested but Google have not been forthcoming for whatever reason.

User avatar
factotum
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by factotum » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:55 pm

What is the point?

E.g. I've used search pages in languages I don't know, it's pretty easy to guess what's what. In any case it requires a great deal of imagination to suspend disbelief to the extent that there is some imaginary user who knows Cornish but not English, or even one who is more at home in C than E. More tokenism I fear.

Of course if you can show me a networking site where there is a constant traffic of information and chit-chat in Cornish, then I would indeed be in favour of hacking the board software to provide an all-round Cornish environment. But to date I have been shown no evidence for such usage.

The Cornish language sections of this board and Kernewegva are rarely used either.

User avatar
Marhak
Posts: 11075
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 am

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by Marhak » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:58 pm

There have been a few exchanges on FB in Cornish without any problem.

carrek
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by carrek » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:15 pm

factotum wrote:What is the point?

E.g. I've used search pages in languages I don't know, it's pretty easy to guess what's what. In any case it requires a great deal of imagination to suspend disbelief to the extent that there is some imaginary user who knows Cornish but not English, or even one who is more at home in C than E. More tokenism I fear.
Keith, just shut the f*ck up for a change. The point of translating websites into Cornish is the same as translating it into any other language. To increase use of the language. To increase the ability of people to immerse themselves in the language. To treat Cornish like any other language gets treated. Cornish speakers will use software and websites in Cornish because they can, not because Cornish is their first language. It is getting those websites in the first place that is what's needed. If you won't want to use them yourself then don't, but stop pissing all over other people's efforts. Why write books in Cornish when we all understand English? Why sing songs? Why teach it to others? In fact, why bother with the f*cking revival in the first place? After all, we all speak English! Gast an ast.

With all your pessimism and curmudgeonry I honestly don't know why you don't just f*ck off. You clearly have nothing positive to contribute to the revival, and have no interest in starting. Do us all a favour.

User avatar
Mark
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm
Location: Nowhere in England

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Well said Carrek.

Incidentally Factotum, the 'tokenism' you should be talking of, is the likes of CC replacing road signs bilingually, something which should be a great move forward and a brilliant thing. Unfortunately they print the Cornish in such tiny lettering to make it almost irrelevant. Tokenism incarnate!
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

User avatar
factotum
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by factotum » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:18 pm

If you want to increase the use and visibility of the language, on the internet or elsewhere, then by all means provide *content* in Cornish. Simply translating a few bits of technobabble around the edges with words invented for the occasion is little more than someone's ego trip.

Nothing doing in Cornish on Kernewegva this year, as far as I can tell. Here's the latest thread there :

http://www.kernewegva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72

You can check the Cornish language section of this board for yourselves, there is at least a little activity there.

carrek
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by carrek » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:00 pm

factotum wrote:If you want to increase the use and visibility of the language, on the internet or elsewhere, then by all means provide *content* in Cornish. Simply translating a few bits of technobabble around the edges with words invented for the occasion is little more than someone's ego trip.
How on earth is community translation - usually a collaborative effort and done for the benefit of others without personal financial gain - an ego trip?

It is about providing as many environments as possible where people can use Cornish - even passively. The best way to learn a language is by immersing yourself in that language wherever possible, and using technology, which is a bigger and bigger part of our lives, to do that can only help. You are so out of touch with reality it's actually quite concerning.
factotum wrote:Nothing doing in Cornish on Kernewegva this year, as far as I can tell. Here's the latest thread there :

http://www.kernewegva.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=72

You can check the Cornish language section of this board for yourselves, there is at least a little activity there.
Then either use them yourself, or stop being a hypocrite and moaning about it. But that's you all over isn't it - always waiting for others to do something.

User avatar
Anselm
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by Anselm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:17 am

Code: Select all

Then either use them yourself, or stop being a hypocrite and moaning about it.
Ny grysav y vones faslwas. Martesen, yma ev ow krysi a leun golonn an pyth yma orth y leverel.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

User avatar
factotum
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by factotum » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:43 am

Pur wir, Tim, my a vynse skoedhye an yeth, mez diskwe dhymm mar pleg neb unn gemmynieth Gerneweg, po y'n byz gwir, po war linenn, a dal boz skoedhyyz. Ow foynt a boes yw, na yllir dasserghi yeth-vyth heb leow ha desedhyansow le ma hi kewsyz herwydh usadow. Ha dell hevel ny woer denvyth fatell hanna dhe wul.

Dyna'r un broblem ger bron Sgeri Meri yng Nghymru, ond ydi?

User avatar
Anselm
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by Anselm » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:03 am

Yma elvenn a wiryonedh y'th lavarow. Pur danow yth yw agan kemmynieth bys y'n eur ma, ha pur eydhil. Meur a ober dh'y wul!

Y sefyllfa yma yn wahanol iawn. Cymunedau Cymraeg eu hiaith o sawl math yn bodoli, ond y cyfle i'w defnyddio'n ymarferol mewn sawl maes yn gyfyngedig iawn.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

User avatar
factotum
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by factotum » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:06 am

Mez tuz Kernow re's tevie moy ez kansblydhen yn unn 'dhasserghi' an yeth. Py mar hir, A Dhuw! Py mar hir?

Gwir iawn, ond seicolegol ydi'r broblem, nid cyfreithiol, ond ydi? Am mae lawer o bobl sy'n medri Cymraeg heb ei siarad allan o'r gartre, os ydych chi'n ei siarad tu mewn y tŷ. A beth ydi amcan y Blaid Lafur mewn hynny, wrth hi yn cefnogi'r iaith ond rhan fwya o'u etholwyr yn ddigymraeg? Ynyn nhw am creu backlash? Mae hynny yn bur debig efallai?

User avatar
Anselm
Posts: 1566
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Cornish Twitter/Facebook

Post by Anselm » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Cyfuniad o broblemau cyfreithiol, cymdeithasol, diwylliannol, a seicolegol, ymhleth a'i gilydd: nid oes modd eu didoli. Gan fod ymagweddau pobl at yr iaith wedi newid, ac yn dal i newid, rhaid i'r Taffia (gav dhymm - an Strollas Lavur) ymateb i hynny os am gadw'u pleidleiswyr. O ran rhychwant daliadau cymdeithasol a chyfansoddiadol, y Taffia yn debyg iawn i ryw glymblaid o Fianna Fail a'r hen UP. Pobl ddigymraeg yn aml yn gefnogol iawn: eu cyfraniad yn amhrisiadwy.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests