MAGA conference

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
alaister

MAGA conference

Post by alaister » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:59 am

Did anyone attend the MAGA conference yesterday ??

Marhak

Re: MAGA conference

Post by Marhak » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:49 am

No - too much self-back-slapping last year. Got bored with it and left early. Didn't bother this year.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:17 pm

Marhak a skrifas:
Didn't bother this year.
Probably much to the relief of everyone that worked hard to put it on.
And everyone that attended too!
:lol:

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:25 pm

alaister wrote:Did anyone attend the MAGA conference yesterday ??
Yes, I did.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:26 pm

pietercharles wrote:
Marhak a skrifas:
Didn't bother this year.
Probably much to the relief of everyone that worked hard to put it on.
And everyone that attended too!
:lol:
Is there really a need for the gratuitous incivility, PieterCharles?

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:06 pm

When Marhak, true to form, takes pot-shots at the organisations and people in them that are working hard for the language, while he sits back and, in his own words, 'doesn't bother'...yes, Evertype.

carrek

Post by carrek » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:11 am

pietercharles wrote:When Marhak, true to form, takes pot-shots at the organisations and people in them that are working hard for the language, while he sits back and, in his own words, 'doesn't bother'...yes, Evertype.
And you, true to form, hit back with snideness and crass hyperbole. You don't have the high ground, "Pieter".

Kevrenor

Post by Kevrenor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:26 am

Evertype wrote:
alaister wrote:Did anyone attend the MAGA conference yesterday ??
Yes, I did.
So, how did it go and what happened?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:51 am

I have been to every MAGA conference except this year's. Unfortunately, the only high point of last year's was details of the work being done in education by Pol and Mike. How many have you attended, "Pieter"?

In addition, I continue to work (unpaid) for MAGA by advising the Signage Panel, which I have done for the last 3 years. Hardly sitting back and not bothering. What work do you do for MAGA, "Pieter"?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:34 am

One thing that concerns me very greatly is the complete sidelining of traditional graph SWF. At this year's Holyer an Gof, one submitted book was rejected because, according to one judge, it was not in SWF (not that H an G specifies what orthography shall or shall not be used). But it WAS in SWF, with the agreed traditional graphs. I know this, because it was me (who sits back and does nothing) who translated the text into SWF from UC. An agreement being deliberately broken.

carrek

Post by carrek » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:59 am

Perhaps the judge in question is not fully acquainted with the SWF's variants. But I still do not see why the orthography should matter, since the 2011 winner was Keskowsow Istorek ha Keskowsow by John Parker, which is in KK.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:12 pm

The judge didn't seem to be acquainted with the competition rules, Carrek. The orthography shouldn't even have been considered. There is nothing in the H an G rules that requires, or excludes any particular orthography. However (before "Pieter" accuses me of fantasizing or drawing unwarranted conclusions), I have read a copy of the judges' comments, and was highly dismayed that it should ever have been brought in as a judging criterion. I should also add that I wasn't in line for any award regarding this book - I was neither the publisher, nor the writer. (I did get a High Commendation for my novel "The Tinners' Way, though; and got one the previous year for "Cornovia". Not too bad for someone who sits back and does nothing).

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Nice that John got an award. Thoroughly decent man.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:48 pm

No response from "Pieter" then, to two very simple questions: how many MAGA conferences has he/she attended, and just what work has he/she done for the language? Basically, is "Pieter" just an armchair-bound keyboard warrior doing nothing but spitefully snipe at those who actually do something constructive for the language, or is he/she an active worker for, and contributor, to the language? Not hard questions, are they? But answering them seems to be a tremendous difficulty.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Looks like Marhak now has Holyer an Gof firmly in his sights - his comments about the competition have nothing to do with the subject of this thread - the MAGA conference.

In amongst his self-back-slapping posts and suggestions of fantasising and drawing unwarranted conclusions, one very serious allegation is being made. And that is:
At this year's Holyer an Gof, one submitted book was rejected because, according to one judge,
it was not in SWF.
There's no way we can ever get to the truth of this allegation, of course, but you have to ask how something so unacceptable could have happened.

There is, after all, not just one judge of HaG - there is a team of judges.
Were they in collusion?
Were they all determined to sideline traditional graphs?
Did they all agree it would be OK to invent a rule that said entries had to be in the SWF?
Did they all believe that nobody would notice that they had invented a rule to suit their devious purposes?

As carrek rightly points out, the winner was a book in KK, so did they all imagine that they would get away with inventing a rule saying that entries had to be in the SWF despite choosing a book in KK as the winner, and another in KK as 'highly commended'?
Did they think nobody would notice? Or complain? Or post on C24 about it?

And to crown it all did none of them realise that a copy of the judge's comments might become available, allowing everyone to see just what they had been up to?

Perhaps it's a conspiracy.

But I just wonder (given the absurdity of what must have happened for the allegation to be completely true) whether that one judge's erroneous comment about it not being in the SWF might, in fact, have been completely ignored. Rightly so. And whether, in fact, the book was actually rejected for an entirely different reason. Surely it's a possibility? And if, perchance, it is nearer the truth than the allegation that has been made then HanG don't deserve the treatment being meted out to them here.

But as I said before, we'll never get to the truth of this allegation that has been posted (unfairly in my view) to C24.

And we won't get to the truth of it because although a small minority of people seem intent on using C24 to have a go at organisations and individuals who are working their socks off in support of the language, no sane members of the revival will come to C24 to defend themselves or the organisations they work for. Not surprisingly.