BBC Cornwall interview about An Beybel Sans

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Anselm

Re: BBC Cornwall interview about An Beybel Sans

Post by Anselm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:48 am

A via lowr orth an bellenn frappya an balyer?
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Lowr vie rag an bellenn fyllel dh'y omsethe y'n troez!

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Yth esos ow kul dhymm hunrosa ...
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

factotum

Post by factotum » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Hunros? "Dial an Puskez a Ifern", fylm eutheg. A vynnydh skrife an gwari-skrin?

factotum

Post by factotum » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Mychael, you have simply made a series of assertions for which you have presented no evidence. In brief you have simply said, "I'm right because I say so!". This is clearly more a matter of "faith" (i.e. religion, dogma, prejudice) than science or scholarship, and it is therefore pointless trying to argue with you, this is simply a "flat earth mentality".

Nevertheless I'll take you up on one word "arloedh" written in the texts "arluth" (mostly) but also "arloth" and "arloyth" and rhyming at least twice in two different texts with "koedh" 'falls, is fitting'. This demonstrates that the phonemic make-up of the ending was /-oD/ (Ken's notation) or /-UD/ (my notation), that is a high mid rounded back vowel followed by a voiced dental fricative. This is also the expected outcome given the etymology. Rather few words end thus (as opposed to _-oth_ or _-odh_) which can explain why this very common word is rather rarely used as a rhyme. Moreover if you believe that unstressed final vowels were all "reduced to schwa" and there was no voicing contrast in final dental fricatives, then you have to explain why "arloedh" NEVER rhymes with the many Cornish words ending in _-Vdh_ and _-Vth_ (V standing for any vowel), or even such words with any rounded vowel etc. In short you have taken leave of any historical reality as far as the language is concerned. You are simply making a mockery of Cornish and setting it up to be derided by linguists just as Nance's Cornish once was. Nance at least was doing his honest best with the data and techniques available in his day.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:04 pm

factotum wrote:In short you have taken leave of any historical reality as far as the language is concerned. You are simply making a mockery of Cornish and setting it up to be derided by linguists.
Bit like KK then..?
What's with the Cornishisation (I just invented that for want...) of everyone's names? Will you be referring to me as Margh?
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

factotum

Post by factotum » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:31 am

Hardly, Margh means "Stallion". Maybe "asenn" would fit though?

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:15 am

:lol: :lol:
One too many 'n's there old bean!
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:21 pm

factotum wrote:Hunros? "Dial an Puskez a Ifern", fylm eutheg. A vynnydh skrife an gwari-skrin?
Tybyans da. Martesen y fynnav vy, moy a amser pan vydh genev.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates