BBC Cornwall interview about An Beybel Sans

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
factotum

Re: BBC Cornwall interview about An Beybel Sans

Post by factotum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:47 am

Admittedly Tim can be obscure at times, (a poet's prerogative, maybe?) however the two examples you happened upon _bonez_ an _gwruthyl_ are not at all unusual in the actual Cornish texts, composed as far as anyone knows by genuine fully fluent Cornish speakers, the likes of which haven't been seen for three centuries. That being so, they ought to be just the sort of thing that Nynja would hold in highest esteem. Perhaps it would pay to check with your Boss before you venture your own opinions about the language of another country of which you know rather little.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:57 am

Yth esos yn-hwir yn lagas dha le. Kepar dell leveris vy, y fydh res gortos rag gweles fatell ello An Beybel Sans gans niver evan an Gernewegoryon. Yma dhymm surnedh dell wra elvennow a'n kowsans ymwreydhya yn kowsans agan pobel, lemen le a vydh rag an teythi Sowsnegus neb a vydh, yn gwiryonedh, ow skila hwardhow yn mysk tus hedhyw. Hag ott acheson hwath erbynn sowynans: yth yw omworthyp fleghyl an gwas na yn Konteth Muigh Eo (Dyw dhe'gan selwel!) dhe'w lavarow kuv ha kortes ytho lowr rag treylya onan kyn fe a-dhyworth pub ober may fydh ev owth omwul. Herwydh lavarow Arthur Picton yn C'mon Midffild, "Trist iawn feri sad.".
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:01 am

factotum wrote:Perhaps it would pay to check with your Boss before you venture your own opinions about the language of another country of which you know rather little.
Yth yw pur hwardhus bones gwas na gonvedh an pyth a lavarav ow trewi kemmys a serryans! Y fia ankombrynsi poes war was kemmyn meneges mar vanyl yn kever negysyow yn yeth nag usi ganso,
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:03 am

Mike wrote:There's no doubt that one of Anselm's strong points is the ability to cause a reaction :lol:
'Reaction' is the word! Unfortunately, the reactor's lack of understanding means that the reaction generates 100% heat and 0% light.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:04 am

Hag ottena an pyth yw marthys dres eghenn.

Wosa blydhynyow yma hwath fowt dien a gonvedhes.

Kathlovenn

Post by Kathlovenn » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:30 am

Don't worry, Evertype. Now you've looked these words up a couple of times, you'll find you remember them easily. You could even try dropping them into your own Cornish now and then.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 pm

pietercharles wrote:Hag ottena an pyth yw marthys dres eghenn.

Wosa blydhynyow yma hwath fowt dien a gonvedhes.
Prag y fynn tus tarena mar ughel yn kever yeth nag usi gansa? Gorthybow, mar plek, war gartenn-bost ...
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:42 am

Mike wrote:There's no doubt that one of Anselm's strong points is the ability to cause a reaction :lol:
Mostly his incessant onanism on this forum doesn't cause a reaction. It's all the same old bile over and over again. :roll:
Last edited by Evertype on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:46 am

factotum wrote:Admittedly Tim can be obscure at times, (a poet's prerogative, maybe?) however the two examples you happened upon _bonez_ an _gwruthyl_ are not at all unusual in the actual Cornish texts, composed as far as anyone knows by genuine fully fluent Cornish speakers, the likes of which haven't been seen for three centuries.
Splendid but misguided superciliousness, Keith. I didn't say that the words were not used in the texts. Do go back and read what I wrote. I noticed that they aren't used by revivalists. They're just part of Tim's obscurantist blather.
That being so, they ought to be just the sort of thing that Nynja would hold in highest esteem. Perhaps it would pay to check with your Boss before you venture your own opinions about the language of another country of which you know rather little.
Deflect, deflect, deflect. See Keith deflect.

Nothing you say will never change the fact that we did it, Keith, and you and your friends didn't. You can lie to yourself and others about whether I know anything about Cornwall and Cornish. History already knows better who contributes and who does not.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:26 am

Kathlovenn wrote:I hope the Bible project will be completed before too long. I also think that it would make sense for it to be published in the SWF even though I know the translators have made clear their preference for KK.
Unnver ov gans dha lavar kynsa, lemen mann gans an nessa huni. Yma lies furv a-berth yn Kernewek Governans, hag y fynn an re a skilas y dhevisya assay y dhiswul na fors fatell vo. Y hallav tybi dell vynn skolheygyon An Bibel Kernewek pesya gans aga ober, hag orttiwedh y fydh dhyn dew dreylyans. Y hallsa henna bones dhe les ha budh an yeth, hag yn-hwir y whaytyav dell vynn tus aga hehavalhe yn-tiwysik.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 am

Evertype a skrifas:
I noticed that they aren't used by revivalists. They'e just...obscurantist blather.
An ayroni y'n lavarow na, sywyans a fowt dien a gonvedhes, a gemmer an anall dhe-ves.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:47 am

Evertype a skrifas:
I noticed that they aren't used by revivalists. They'e just...obscurantist blather.
An ayroni y'n lavarow na, sywyans a fowt dien a gonvedhes, a gemmer an anall dhe-ves.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:36 am

'Ma dasson yn tyller-ma.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:18 am

pietercharles wrote:
Evertype a skrifas:

Gast an ast!
Na syns dha anall!
Last edited by Anselm on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

factotum

Post by factotum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 pm

There is absolutely no point in duplicating a KK document or work in the 'SWF' since the latter is simply the former with some things taken out. There is no rhyme or reason to this, it was not arrived at scientifically on any basis. Not on the basis of whether or not it reflects the sounds of traditional Cornish; Not on the basis of what works best for users, whether beginners or fluent, since no trials were ever run; Not on the basis of what people prefer, since again no trials or survey; nor even based on the forms actually in use, since again the survey results were published too late, and were not properly analysed, and no attempt was made to define the target population. The whole business was and is a complete shambles designed to damage the revival. Pointless really since the Revival has failed anyway, since after more than half a century of promoting Cornish as a 'normal' everyday spoken language, there is still no community of speakers. Without such, you can teach schoolkids Cornish till you're blue in the face and they won't take it up. Kids are not stupid and will instinctively reject a language that has no practical use for them as a means of communication.