Wikipedia: Did you know...?

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Wikipedia: Did you know...?

Post by Evertype » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:32 pm

... that the first complete translation of the Bible into the Cornish language was published in 2011?

This "Did You Know" article began at 13:00 BST and will be online at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page for 12 hours. Great visibility for Cornish!

The article itself is at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_translations_into_Cornish

Kevrenor

Re: Wikipedia: Did you know...?

Post by Kevrenor » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:13 am

Wikipedia?

Your having a laugh?

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:16 pm

Ow hwerthin nyns esov vy.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:03 pm

No, I wasn't having a laugh. I was pleased that a Cornish-language topic was highlighted on the Wikipedia on that day in October. At en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_articles it is explained that
Featured articles are considered to be the best articles Wikipedia has to offer, as determined by Wikipedia's editors. They are used by editors as examples for other articles. Before being listed here, articles are reviewed as featured article candidates for accuracy, neutrality, completeness, and style according to our featured article criteria. There are 3,460 featured articles out of 3,860,048 articles on the English Wikipedia. Thus, about one in 1,110 articles is listed here. Articles that no longer meet the criteria can be proposed for improvement or removal at featured article review.
Why should this seem laughable to you, Kevrenor?

Lee G Broderick

Post by Lee G Broderick » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:16 am

I know it's only Wikipedia, but I have to say I'm surprised that there's no mention in that article of the scholarly debate regarding the existence of a pre-reformation Cornish translation of the bible.

factotum

Post by factotum » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:13 pm

I seem to recall that this came up in a work of fiction, not that the distinction between fact and fiction is always very clear in Cornwall :-) But seriously, is there any actual evidence for such a translation having been made (in Oxford, was it?) or is it just another assumption that's been repeated over and over?

Kathlovenn

Post by Kathlovenn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 pm

I have a theory that John Keigwin translated Alice in Wonderland into Cornish, 200 years before Lewis Carroll wrote the English version.

Lee G Broderick

Post by Lee G Broderick » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:26 pm

It seems increasingly likely that there may have been. Whether they are the more romantically inclined scholars or not, academic debate seems to be coming round to the idea. Of course, short of actually finding a copy, it's probably a debate that will rage for as long as people are interested. Probably the best overviews are:

Grigg, E., 2008. The Medieval Cornish Bible: More Evidence. In Payton, P. ed. Cornish Studies: Sixteen. Exeter: University of Exeter Press. p. 19-25.
Tschirschky, M., 2003. The Medieval Cornish Bible. In Payton, P. ed. Cornish Studies: Eleven. Exeter: University of Exeter Press. p. 308-316.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:11 am

Kathlovenn wrote:I have a theory that John Keigwin translated Alice in Wonderland into Cornish, 200 years before Lewis Carroll wrote the English version.
You are quite right. Moreover, Dodgson's version was inauthentic and not academically acceptable, since he was arguing from unlicensed premises
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates