Desky Kernowek: A complete guide to Cornish

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Desky Kernowek: A complete guide to Cornish

Post by Evertype » Wed May 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Desky Kernowek: A complete guide to Cornish dyllys gans Evertype

Desky Kernowek: A complete guide to Cornish yw intendys rag dalethoryon ha rag studhyoryon moy avauncys inwedh.

Yma Desky Kernowek ow qwil devnyth a Gernowek Standard, lytherednans warrantus ha leun-fonetek kefrës. Yma oll gramer an tavas dyghtys in Desky Kernowek hag yma spâss rës ino dhe’n dhew versyon a’n tavas, Kernowek Cres ha Kernowek Dewedhes. Rag kenyver poynt a’n gramer pò a’n erva ensamplys yw rës in mes a’n textow tradycyonal i’n spellyans gwredhek. Y kefyr alwheth dhe’n practycyow in dyweth an lyver rag an re-na a vo ow studhya an tavas heb descajor. Y kefyr in Desky Kernowek inwedh leun-lyvryn lavarow, le may ma pùb lavar kemerys in mes a’n textow tradycyonal. Yma rës i’n lyver inwedh egeryans manylys a drailyansow dallath ger, ha chaptra adro dhe ûsyans verbow. Yma gervaow Kernowek-Sowsnek ha Sowsnek-Kernowek i’n lyver ha menegva dhien a destednow.

Michael Everson, arbenegor a systemow scrifa meur y hanow, a wrug parusy chaptra an lyver adro dhe leveryans ha spellyans. An Professor Nicholas Williams, auctour Desky Kernowek, re beu descrifys gans an Professor Philip Payton, Kevarwedhor Fùndyans Lien Kernow, Ûnyversyta Keresk, avell “chîf-scoler a’n tavas Kernowek.”

Possybyl veu dylla Desky Kernowek in radn dre weres larych Agan Tavas ha Cussel an Tavaz Kernûak. An lyver a yll bos kefys in cudhlen gales hag in cudhlen vedhel kefrës. Gweler http://evertype.com/books/desky.html

Y hyll cafos copiow a'n lyver in cudhlen gales dhyworth Amazon.co.uk, dhyworth Amazon.com, bò dhyworth Spyrys a Gernow. Y hyll cafos copiow a'n lyver in cudhlen vedhel dhyworth Amazon.co.uk, dhyworth Amazon.com, bò dhyworth Spyrys a Gernow.
Last edited by Evertype on Fri May 11, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evertype

Re: Desky Kernowek: A complete guide to Cornish

Post by Evertype » Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 pm

Desky Kernowek: A complete guide to Cornish published by Evertype

Desky Kernowek: A complete guide to Cornish is aimed at both beginners and the more advanced student. It is available in hardcover and paperback editions.

Desky Kernowek uses Standard Cornish, an orthography that is at once authentic and wholly phonetic. The whole grammar of Cornish is discussed in Desky Kernowek and both Middle and Late Cornish variants are accommodated. All points of grammar and vocabulary are exemplified by instances from the traditional texts in the original spelling. A key to the exercises is given at the end of the book for those learning Cornish by themselves. Desky Kernowek contains a comprehensive phrase-book taken exclusively from traditional Cornish. It also contains a detailed discussion of initial mutation, and a section on verbal usage. The book contains both Cornish-English and English-Cornish glossaries and a full index of subjects.

The section on pronunciation and spelling was written by Michael Everson, a leading expert on writing systems. Professor Nicholas Williams, the author of Desky Kernowek, has been described by Philip Payton, Director of the Institute of Cornish Studies of the University of Exeter, as “the foremost scholar of the Cornish language”.

Publication of Desky Kernowek has been made possible in part by the generous support of Agan Tavas and Cussel an Tavaz Kernûak. It is available in hardcover and paperback editions. See http://evertype.com/books/desky.html

Hard-cover copies may be obtained from Amazon.co.uk, from Amazon.com, or from Spyrys a Gernow. Paperback copies may be obtained from Amazon.co.uk, from Amazon.com, or from Spyrys a Gernow.

capten

Post by capten » Sat May 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Looks great, but I'm still waiting for Amazon to have it in stock! Is there any way I can get it quicker?

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun May 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Spyrys a Gernow have copies in stock. If you order from Amazon they will get it in, but if you really want it quickly I can have one sent directly to you if you can pay by PayPal. Send me a private message and we can discuss details.

capten

Post by capten » Tue May 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Got it through Amazon now. Thanks anyway.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Wed May 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Splendid! I hope you find the book useful.

GanO

Post by GanO » Sat May 19, 2012 3:30 pm

A mysterious parcel came through the post the other day, one whose size is just big enough to enclose an item of the dimensions given by Amazon for Desky Kernowek. Alas, I'm honour bound not to open it until my birthday (which is fa-a-a-r too long to have to wait!)

Still, I was able to get a good taste of the book through the generous preview Evertype has provided on Amazon, which includes much of the forematter and endmatter, as well as the first 3 of 40 lessons. Each lesson seems to offer a thorough discussion of its points of grammar, with plentiful illustrative quotes from the historical literature, as well as hands-on, 2-way translation exercises.

The chosen Kernowek Standard orthography will doubtless displease some of those who prefer inauthentic 'Kernewek Konnkoktys'. However, if you like a traditional look to your Kernewek (be it Middle, Tudor or Late/Modern), KS is a very suitable medium for instruction; it has the virtues both of clarity as well as a high degree of authenticity.

The use in KS of diacritics has also come in for adverse criticism from some Kernewegoryon, but we might consider these points:
a) like KS, diacritics are also used in RLC, UC and UCR,
b) they do help to clarify pronunciation and meaning in dictionaries and course material, and are quite unobtrusive to the eye,
c) nobody's going to force you to actually write or type them yourself. In your own writings, you're obviously quite free to include all, or some, or none of them as you see fit (just as you are in the older RC orthographies mentioned above!)

The quality of typesetting and cover design is of the high standard we've come to expect from Evertype, which should make the volume as clear as possible for study or for browsing. His use of Baskerville as the body font is a discerning choice for the purpose of the book.

All in all, a noteworthy addition to the Cornish bookshelf, and one which will improve the quality of Cornish of anyone who uses the book, irrespective of their favoured orthography.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat May 19, 2012 5:33 pm

I already have a copy and it's hugely impressive. No one's explained Cornish in this amount of detail ever before. KS (KS2) is quite obviously based on SWF, but with all SWF's faults put right, as well as on the very best and truest traditions of Cornish. For a good historical comparison, see Jordan (1611).

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun May 20, 2012 9:33 am

For the record, the proposal that went to the Commissioners and which was considered by the AHG is called KS1. It was never used by anyone as a practical orthography. The orthography which was based on the SWF but which applies a number of remedies to the shortcomings of the SWF, and which has been used to publish over a million words in Cornish, is called just KS (not "KS2").

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:17 am

Qwil?
Brav gennyv 'qwil'!
Gast an ast, prag na brederis vy a henna?
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

factotum

Post by factotum » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:29 am

Tim. Re'n ow thaz, pyth y'n byz-ma ezos te ow leverel a-dro dhodho? Skrife lyver a'n par-na? Henn a vie tybyans fest yn ta 'barth Duw ;-)

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:09 am

factotum wrote:Tim. Re'n ow thaz, pyth y'n byz-ma ezos te ow leverel a-dro dhodho? Skrife lyver a'n par-na? Henn a vie tybyans fest yn ta 'barth Duw ;-)
Tybyans marthys heb wow, y vater kyn fe, ha'n ger 'qwil' ynno!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates