Allantide

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Carbilly

Allantide

Post by Carbilly » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:24 pm

Happy 'Nos Calan Gwaf' to all! 'Bout time we reclaimed this Cornish Celtic festival as well. :P Anyone celebrate it? Any historic or recently revived activities happening in the Duchy?

Mark

Re: Allantide

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:08 am

Down west, yup!
You need to get yourself to the Admiral Benbow, Penzance on Saturday at 20:00 for the launch of author Simon Reed's book 'The Cornish Traditional Year'. More info below! :)

To celebrate the launch of the revised and expanded edition of my book the "The Cornish Traditional Year" Troy Books and I will be holding a book launch to coincide with the Cornish feast of Allantide (The Cornish Halloween). During the evening I will do a short talk on the book, you will have a chance to ask questions and get signed copies. We will then show everyone how Allantide was celebrated in West Cornwall including games, music and dancing. We will finish with an Allantide fire and the gift of an Allan apple to everyone present for good luck for the next 12 months. Dress: Nothing special unless you have a Guise dance costume and mask. Bring an instrument or dancing shoes if you have them - OPEN TO ALL. More information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allantide
Guise dancing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guise_dancing
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

factotum

Post by factotum » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:45 pm

From a Celtic perspective Kalann Gwav is New Year's Eve. It all works on the principle of Darkness before Light. Which when you think about it is not really a bad idea. So you start your year with the dark/cold/winter half, when things are dormant, and then when May Day (Kalann Me/Kalann Hav) comes around things wake up and everything that's been gestating in the winter dark hatches out into the light. It means that instead of looking on the next couple of months as the dead end of the past year, rather see them as the slow start of the year to come. Night also comes before day, which means that the day starts at sunset, the whole dark period belonging to the following day. So the year and the day and the party begins at sunset on what we call the 'eve' of the festival, but which in the Celtic languages is called the 'night' of whatever. I doubt much of this survived in Cornish consciousness, but there's plenty of evidence from our sister nations to reconstruct the system if you're so inclined.

Kathlovenn

Post by Kathlovenn » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:21 pm

An Loer a splann,
Glow an stergann
Pols kyns yw dydh,
Blydhen nowydh
Orth 'an gelwel:
Difun! Gormel!

Barrenn besow
Misyow marow
A skub yn fresk.