Dydh Lowender

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:40 am

What is it in Curnoack Nowedga, or in Kernowek Unys Amendys, or in Unified Cornish though?

Egloshal

Post by Egloshal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:53 am

I think you are just trying to stir Stroppygob. We don't need that sort of trouble-making here. What we need are peace makers, and it doesn't seem you are one of them.

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:41 am

This is a debate forum, people make points and bring things into the discussion, and some of us actually enjoy the debate.

If you want to make peace, go ahead, but hiding your head in the sand doesn't make peace.

Doc.Martin

Post by Doc.Martin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:55 am

"Egloshal" said:
I think you are just trying to stir Stroppygob. We don't need that sort of trouble-making here.

Or to quote someone else ...

"Someone else. Possibly local" said:
Hello, hello. What's going on? What's all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here.

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:06 am

"the stroppy one" said:

This is a debate forum

Indeed it is, but there's a difference between debating and just posting a troll. How about a constructive suggestion about how we can end the spelling system....errr...."debate" ;-) , strop???

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:11 am

Well how aboout the Stannary Parliament, that great elected body, make a decision?

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:14 am

"lyskerrys" said:
there's a difference between debating and just posting a troll.

Try again?

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:21 am

Well if they don't make a decision, who will?

Who should decide which of the (4? 5?) versions of Cornish is the right one? Surely it would help the Cornish cause no end if someone bit the bullet?

Egloshal

Post by Egloshal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:22 am

Making peace is not hiding your head in the sand. Inflaming a situation is just time wasting. How about thinking of ways to bring people together, calm situations. and make people feel better about each other. A forum can be used for positive things and for the general good. I think it is quite sad that Stroppy feels the forum isn't a place for peacemakers.

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:26 am

Where did I say that the forum wasn't a place for peacemeakers? (And isn't that a very inflamatory remark?)

Bringing people together is all well and good, but ignoring reality (and the 4-5-6? versions of Cornish are a reality that cannot be denied) achives nothing.

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:42 am

C'mon, strop, I'm still waiting for a constructive suggestion as to how to come to a decision on which spelling system to move ahead with. What's that? You haven't got one? Well there's a surprise.

Yes, it would help the language no end, so come on, let's hear your plan for how to bring everyone together and come to an inclusive decision.

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:35 am

Strop, your silence on this speaks volumes. Your appearances on this forum are designed purely to bring discord. You seek to inflame arguments with the other forum users. You get off most of all by trying to make the people who disagree with you (who are most of us) fight amongst themselves. You disagree with people for the sake of disagreement. You wrap up snide, devisive comments in pseudo-positive sheep's clothing. You have nothing positive to say or to bring to this forum.

I feel sorry for you, as someone who gets off on trying to sow discord and disagreement, but I am glad that most of the posters on this site see through you.

I expect to receive a torrent of abuse in response to this, and probably every one of my future posts, but I understand that this is just the way you are so it won't bother me at all.

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:50 pm

Lys

You asked for a suggestion as to who could make the decision, I gave you one;

Well how about the Stannary Parliament, that great elected body, make a decision?

But you didn't accept it, and you gave no reasons why not.

What am I supposed to do, keep making suggestions until you accept one?

As for the rest of your reply, I'll treat it with the distain it deserves. But will ask you this, where have I ever subjected you to a torrent of abuse?

Egloshal

Post by Egloshal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:00 pm

I will answer your suggestion Stroppygob.

The problem with letting the Stannary Parliament make the decision is twofold.

As far as I know, few members of the Stannary Parliament actually have a very good grip on the language themselves, and I believe the best people to make an informed choice are those who actually know it in the first place (despite the fact they havent managed to yet).

Also the Stannary Parliament is an unelected body who do not really have a mandate in any area in any way.

I believe the only way for a solution is for us all to do our best to work together in whatever way possible. Also I feel that if this course is taken then time will heal the rift (I hope).

Also, the best thing is for Cornish speakers to speak it more, and put less emphasis on the written aspect.

Another thing which is a must is for Cornish language enthusiasts to celebrate the fact that a type of Cornish is being used, and not that a particular version is being used. I mean when a sign in Unified is put up, not to be slagged off by other groups, likewise when a sign in Kemmyn, goes up, not to be complained about. It is this kind of public nit-picking that has meant two Kerrier councillors who should have known better have stood against much of the district's bilingualisation. We would have had a little Cornish on all the car parking signs if it wasn't for some people.

My message to them is to stop the bickering, just thank heavens it is a type of Cornish, and work together.