Myth busting for Mebyon Kernow

Topical debate
Fulub-le-Breton

Myth busting for Mebyon Kernow

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun May 19, 2013 11:43 am

Trying to write a post about MK myths.

I think I've got most here. Have I missed any?:

1) MK advocates Cornwall for the Cornish and is a xenophobic, right-wing party. MK, by nature, is anti-English.

2) MK is linked with pasty bombers and house burners.

3) MK is a one issue party that has no other real policies.

4) MK isn't a serious party and is made up of bearded real-ale-drinking sandal wearers, xenophobes, pagan new-age druid types and assorted loons.

5) MK advocates independence - cutting Cornwall off - and Cornish isolation.

6) MK are backward looking, nostalgic and atavistic. They are only interested in history, arcane constitutional issues and the Cornish language. They want to turn the clock back. Autonomy for Cornwall and other historic nations is a step back not progress.

7) MK is a wasted vote. They never get elected and voting for them lets the Tories in.

8) Cornwall is too small to be an independent country. It couldn't survive alone as it doesn't have enough industry to do so.

9) Cornwall is not and never has been a nation/country. It's just an English county. It doesn't deserve any special attention. Why not a Devonwall or South West region? What about the rest of England?

10) Cornish nationalism, like all nationalism, is bad and anti-English.

11) MK politicians, like all politicians, are necessarily corrupt and/or powerless to make any 'real' changes.

Others myths would be welcome as would ways of responding to them.

Fulub-le-Breton

Re: Myth busting for Mebyon Kernow

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun May 19, 2013 2:34 pm

12) You have to be Cornish to join MK or be a Cornish nationalist.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Thu May 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Slow down everybody! Give me a bit of time to write all this down. :?

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed May 29, 2013 4:10 am

As long as the English continue to hang on to their Delusions of Empire and Inherent Superiority over Lesser-breeds, any other brand of nationalism or movement for autonomy/independence in the British Isles is bound to be "Anti-English". The English and their mentality are the Problem, everybody's problem, in the long run their own problem as they'll face isolation in Europe, isolation from any part of the present UK that manages to 'escape', and a future as the USA's pet poodle as their only avenue to Empire by Proxy. As for MK, well didn't UKIP get twice as many councillors the other week? Says it all really, with Scotland and possibly Wales out of the UK in a few years, Cornwall will be all they've got left to colonise, in fact the process is already well advanced ... well you know that already ...

tean

Post by tean » Wed May 29, 2013 3:16 pm

I've got family in Scotland and, believe me, it's by no means certain that they will vote for Independence

factotum

Post by factotum » Thu May 30, 2013 4:26 am

If they don't then they deserve everything they'll get which will be total 'integration', looting of all their remaining resources, destruction of their distinctive institutions, isolation from a progressive Europe and incorporation in an increasingly totalitarian US/UK warfare state ... but there are decades of propaganda, and media bias to counter, latest thing being the suppression of Healey's revelations. You have to wonder why they're putting so much effort into slinging shite at the Scots ... must be the nukes, they'd feel emasculated without them ... but Cornwall is top of the list of alternative sites. Maybe you feel you'd rather see Scotland ruined rather than Cornwall, in fact a 'no' vote would be a tragedy for Britain as a whole.