"Jowal Lethesow" dyllys in Kernowek

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Post by Evertype » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:53 am

Don't apologize, Craig. You're a writer. You wrote novels. You wrote them in English. There's nothing wrong with that! I think it's great that Nicholas has translated your book in to Cornish. He's a fine translator, and has translated other books into Irish and into Cornish.Tim? Ken? What's your beef? You're neither writing novels nor translating them, far as I can see.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:58 am

Tim, I'm having quite a bit of trouble reading your screed.  Could you write in Cornish, please?
There'll be quite a few more books to come, written in English: there's a series commissioned by Halsgrove on Cornish legend and, at some time, I'll be updating my Survey of Courtyard House Sites; plus my book on the Penwith Moors.  I'm considering an Archaeological Atlas of West Penwith, as well.
Then there's the novels.  'Nautilus' has been edit-read.  Then 'Water Horse', followed by 'Lyra', which will be set in the Scottish islands.
Busy, busy.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:29 pm

marhak said:
The main purpose of these novels was to promote our culture of legend/folklore and removing the touristic changes and trivialisation of those legends, rather than promote the language.  The language features because it's an ever-present. 

(Ow foesans vy - TS.) War verr lavarow, imajeri ha namwy yth yw Kernewek. Gwell ytho hy bones eno es mann, mes nyns yw henna lowr. My, ny gonvedhav prag y tal eksaltya an yeth gordhiwedh heb hy devnydhya.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:33 pm

marhak said:
  In order to convey the same atmospheres in Cornish, it takes a highly advanced ability – far higher than mine will ever be.  At least, Tim, I know my limitations – and own up to them, too.

Dhe'n lyha yth yw Craig lowr a was rag avowa na wor ev kewsel Kernewek. Re wruk ev unn kamm war-rag ytho, mes yth yw tristta es trist y vones hwath yn knys a-bervedh gans oedh erbynn an re a vydh orth hy hewsel yn yeth gemmyn a dhydh dhe dhydh!
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:34 pm

marhak said:
Tim, I'm having quite a bit of trouble reading your screed.

Dyski Kernewek a vydh res dhis, a-der gwari anedhi ...
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:35 pm

marhak said:
 Could you write in Cornish, please?

Dyber dha golonn yn-mes, sos!
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:14 am

Gwir an ger a gewsydh!
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:52 am

I only recognise Cornish as CORNISH people wrote it.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:19 am

My a yll scrifa yn Kernowek.  Kernowek gwir, nyns scrifys gans an Sows.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:29 am

marhak said:My a yll scrifa yn Kernowek.  Kernowek gwir, nyns scrifys gans an Sows.

Attent nobyl, mes gramasek Sowsnek yw 'nyns skrifys'. Pesya ty gwra ow studhya agan yeth, mes y fydh edhomm dhis a lyver gramasek da. Onan pur dha usi y'n gwerthjiow, yn-skrifys gans agan Wella. Henna y'n komendyav dhis a leun golonn.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:56 am

I love the way some of you treat the Cornish language like a weapon. Tim especially uses the term "agan yeth" exclusively, in order to exclude people. "Our-language-but-not-yours" he means.Perhaps "our Tim" hasn't read the long article Nicholas wrote about "agan Wella"'s grammar of Cornish. The one in which the many non-Cornish grammatical errors are pointed out, with examples showing the genuine Cornish of the texts. That grammar "comendys a leun golon" by "our Tim" or not, has perpetuated a number of unnecessary errors which have done the Revival no favours. To return to the topic, however:My thanks to the two people one person on this thread who offered congratulations to the author, the translator, and the publisher for making available a new book in Cornish.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:16 am

That post shouldn't have got through.  I wantd to say one thing, started to write another, then thought, 'Bugger it, why dance to Tim's tune' and cancelled the post, with an incomplete second sentence left as gibberish.  So how that appeared is a mystery.
However, if Tim wants to see where I have written in Cornish properly, I've told him, so he can go and look for himself.  Try pp.72-74 of 'Seat of Storms', Tim.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 am

Seys yw 'agan Wella', ynwedh, Reeves.  And how about the 'fluent speaker' on YouTube who comes out with 'lies lyvrow'?   I didn't see you people criticise that.  Glass houses, stones, etc.