Dydh Lowender

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:52 am

Rag Strobbygob:

An dydh lowender o pur dha. Ni a eth rag an dohajydh. Yth esa lies pobel yn an hel Gemmynieth, Nans byghan. Martesen, deg warn ugens dhe deu-ugens. Ni a wrug kanow ha gwariow yn kernewek. Yth esa nebes dallethoryon ha nebes moy kernewegoryon pur dha. Yn'n myttin i a wrug dybri krampoethow.

Oll an gwella
CJ

GolowDydh

Post by GolowDydh » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:39 pm

Why only for stroppy? I think as you had a good time you should tell as many people as possible about it to encourage those beginers and maybe even push a few others to start.

I wish I had been able to go, but I don't think anyone would have liked me sharing my dreadful cold with them. I think I caught it in the pub on Tuesday, serves me right I should have stayed in and had pancakes.

Egloshal

Post by Egloshal » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:54 pm

My eth dhe'n Jydh Lowender keffrys... splann o... kynth esa kuntellyans y'n kettermyn gans Kesva an Taves. Gwrys yn ta dhe beub a'n restras!

I went to the fun day too... it was great... even though there was a Kesva an Taves meeting at the same time. Well done to everyone who arranged it!

shaz

Post by shaz » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:16 pm

This is cool why don't more people on this forum post in Kernewek with English sub titles maybe, I did start to understand a bit from Lys doing the translations for TINC.......

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:53 pm

Goyeyn yw hemma, prag na wra moy a dus y'n gowsva ma postya yn Kernewek gans martesen istitlow sowsnek, my a dhallathas konvedhes tamm dhiworth Lys ow kul an treylyansow rag TINC...

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:56 pm

Dual language postings is a good idea, but if you want to learn Cornish properly, your best bet is to go to a class and learn in a group. You won't pick up the grammar reading off a forum!

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:02 pm

You won't pick up the grammar reading off a forum!

Trying to read it out loud from this forum is a tongue twist. As an example how do you pronounce Dydh? Is it 'did' 'died' 'didhuh' diedeh'?

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:02 pm

DH is pronounced like TH in THIS or THAT - it's a voiced TH, not like the TH in THIN or THING.

Y is a short I as in English DID, so DYDH is pronounced like DITH, with a voiced TH.

Some pronounciation can be gleaned from the examples here, read by Matthew Clarke of Pirate FM and Cornish-language rock band Krena.

Abieuan

Post by Abieuan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:38 pm

lyskerrys wrote:

DH is pronounced like TH in THIS or THAT - it's a voiced TH, not like the TH in THIN or THING.

Ah, so DH is the same as the Welsh DD, thanks, i'll remember that.

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:25 pm

Why only for stroppy? I think as you had a good time you should tell as many people as possible about it to encourage those beginers and maybe even push a few others to start.

Too true - but on another thread stroppy specifically asked for a report of the event - so that was why it was addressed to him in my very basic Cornish!

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:40 pm

lyskerrys wrote:

Quote: › DH is pronounced like TH in THIS or THAT - it's a voiced TH, not like the TH in THIN or THING.

Ah, so DH is the same as the Welsh DD, thanks, i'll remember that.

He'll remember that... Maybe if those who speak it add little snippets each time they post to this forum it could go a long way. It's stuck in my head now that 'Y' is pronounced like 'I' and 'DH' has a 'Th' sound.

I've been to Warlinnen site numerous times now but find that I try to take in too much in one go and come away remembering nowt (apart from Mitten da!). Obviously, if you're seriously commited to learning the language you will set aside the time and effort to do it; however, if little snippets help a larger audience to learn a little over time then all the better...

Go on Lys, chuck in the odd one now and then, and, if you can make it relevent, i.e, it has some sort of link that sticks in the mind, even better... My dad was in the police and he taught me how to remember car registration places by assigning words to the letters and making the numbers that followed significant to the words of the letters...

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:44 pm

Ddiolch yn fawr Jenk's bach.

shaz

Post by shaz » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:44 am

Ddiolch yn fawr Jenk's bach.

Does yn mean the same in Cornish and Welsh...

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:19 am

Yep, the Cornish pinched it off us... :D

Morvyl

Post by Morvyl » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:33 am

Lyskerrys a screfas adro dhe'n ger <dydh>:

"Y is a short I as in English DID, so DYDH is pronounced like DITH, with a voiced TH."

This is not quite correct. While, according to Kernewek Kemmyn rules <y> has the sound of "i" in English "did", it is long in the word <dydh>. So it's pronounced with the i-sound drawn out to the length of a long vowel, similar to the pronunciation of "eer" in "beer" many English speakers use, who don't pronounce their "r".