17 minute DVD of Cornwall.

Topical debate
Seaforth

Post by Seaforth » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:49 am

"frenchie" said:

ThisisNotSaltash - This is Kernow.. 8)

I posted your pic. with the redecoration job on the Saltash forum to see what sort of response it gets. The forum is a bit quiet to say the least...I've been wondering if the good people of Saltash now go into hibernation this time of year. Maybe this will wake one or two of them :lol:

BTW Saltash has an older name - 'Essa'.

Seaforth

Post by Seaforth » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:04 pm

Good response from Saltash
http://www.thisissaltash.co.uk/e107_plu ... ic.php?391
Someone is even suggesting getting the owner to redo the pub in St. Piran's colours itself.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:15 pm

Someone is even suggesting getting the owner to redo the pub in St. Piran's colours itself.

Now that is a dam good idea, but i was under the impression that the landlord was a bit of a BNP fan, so there is probably more chance of him setting fire to his hair.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:56 pm

Right i'm trying again!

"Buffering waiting for more data from the server".

Takes too long, people won't bother.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:24 pm

OK at last.

A bit depressing really, basically saying "Cornish nationalists, you don't stand a chance".

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:48 pm

Takes too long, people won't bother.

I think if they're bothered, they'll bother..
Those that don't will save bandwidth.

Also, download speeds and broadband access are moving forward fast. We got a phone call yesterday from bt, they've upped my broadband from 2 to 8 meg, put a wireless box in the post so I can sit on the cliff and the beach on broadband and knocked a couple of quid off what I'm paying..

It was hardly a hard sell.

There was an article on the bbc website about how the gap between to TV and internet is closing. This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently. I've noticed distinct differences between people I know who only watch TV...

and the internet crew.

Do you? :idea:

The bbc singled out some comedian whose shifted his show across the great media divide and now has loads of viewers pay a quid to watch his shows on YouTube. A girl got noticed by talent spotters on the net, and was 'signed up' by the bbc after she started her own 'gadget review' show on YouTube.

Kernow needs to show off it's uniqueness, online..

For no other reason than it's so open to territorial claim.

YouTube is now being delivered to TVs in the USA.

What people choose to watch on their box is turning into an open season on sensory information. If you can make your Sh-it look better on TV than their Sh-it, then your vids go on telly.

Kernow has got a pretty good storyline..

KernowTube :)

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:03 pm

I reckon about 30 of us could do it in a day.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:04 pm

A few ladders..

and pasties..

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:05 pm

Have a pi-ss up in the pub afterwards..

:)

Coady

Post by Coady » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:00 am

I think the Union Inn at Saltash should KEEP the Union flag..its been there years hasn't it? It ties in with the name of the pub, there might be some historical wotsit we don't know about yet, and I think many Cornish people will have no objection.

PERHAPS there is an equally visible gable end or building of some sort owned by a Cornish person prepared to paint it in St Pirans colours.. maybe more than one, even more noticeable......
We live in interesting times!

Seaforth

Post by Seaforth » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:47 am

I'm up early on my way to work with no time to check so this may be wrong. I remember somewhere hearing that Sir Francis Drake was connected with that pub.

Hen

Post by Hen » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:52 am

Here's a neat little bit of information on the pub's history, Seaforth.

Among the famous buccaneers whose footsteps have resounded through the narrow network of streets of the old Saltash Waterside, names to include Drake Raleigh, is one Cornish hero who passed his latter years as landlord of the Union Inn one of the three public houses remaining.

Largely forgotten in his native Cornwall, he is still well remembered in New Zealand. It was in that country that this Cornish leading seaman won his V.C., the first to have been awarded for service in that country; a cutlass charge to seize the flag of a native horde that was in the best tradition of Hornblower and Henty.

Born in Falmouth on the 14th February 1835. William Odgers joined the Royal Navy as Ordinary Seaman and saw action in the Black Sea fleet during the Crimean War.

On board H.M.S. Niger he was to win his moment of glory during the Maori Wars in 1860. The battle was considered to have established the Royal Navy in New Zealand as an elite fighting force.

Odgers retired,taking "The Union Inn" as a licensee.

William Odgers V.C. was a hero in the best traditions of Raleigh, Drake and Nelson.

He is perhaps worth a passing memory when passing by or supping a pint in The Union Inn on Saltash's historic Waterside.

http://www.westcountrylinks.co.uk/history.htm