The Basher Family, still in Cornwall?

Looking for your Cornish roots, long lost friends/family or just other people with the same family name then try here.
Hen

Post by Hen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:49 am

The on-line BT Phone book lists 3 Basher's residing in Helston, 1 in Newquay and 1 in Cambourne.

Perhaps you could call them and enquire as to whether there was a family connection?

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha ... s.publisha

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:11 am

Cambourne.

'Cambourne' isn't in Cornwall. This poster, a well-known Oracle on all things Cornish from 12,000 miles away in Canberra can't always be trusted to get her 'facts' right. 'Cambourne' is in Cambridgeshire. Nevertheless, we do have a 'Camborne', a Cornish word meaning 'crooked hill' in English, consisting of some 30,000 souls, some 6 miles from Hayle.

However, to return to the original poster's query, yes, there are Bashers still living in the area between Hayle and Helston consisting, as I recall of two generations (possibly three now) of the same family.

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:15 am

"Hen" said:
The on-line BT Phone book lists 3 Basher's residing in Helston, 1 in Newquay and 1 in Cambourne.

"Cambourne"???? :shock: :shock: :shock: Shame on you, Hen. ;-)

VandalBasher, in the mid-1800s there was a "Boadicea Basher" working as a domestic servant for the Forsaith family in Redruth, and I think another Boadicea Basher died in the 1900s, but I don't know the detailed family history.

Hen

Post by Hen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:24 pm

I will admit to raising my eyebrows when Cambourne came up in my search for Basher's in Helston.

I thought I would just transcribe the information as recieved from BT.

Blame BT not me for Cambourne coming up.

Hey, they may have recently moved there from Helston?

At least there is proof of a number of healthy Bashers, eh? (Well ... maybe not healthy, but they still paid their phone bills. :) )

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:51 pm

The phone book lists 18 Bashers, so they are still around.

Bill_of_Polgarth

Post by Bill_of_Polgarth » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:57 am

I have a short History of The Basher Family of Rinsey Helston Cornwall if you are interested. They were miners, carpenters and smugglers.

Ceallach

Post by Ceallach » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:07 pm

Bill, I would be very interested in your History of the Bashers. This is my father's surname and his family came from roughly the same area.

Also would be very happy to share any info I may have, although it doesn't amount to much! There was an article in a clmbing magazine about Basher's harbour a couple of years ago.

PilgrimFather

Post by PilgrimFather » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:57 pm

A pity I didn't come here months ago - I hope some of you still visit! My grandmother's name was Basher & would be interested to hear from other members of the family.

Ceallach

Post by Ceallach » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:38 pm

Not sure if I can tell you much about your family connections. However, I'm also descended from the Cornish "Bashers". No connections left with anyone in Cornwall though!

Bashers

Post by Bashers » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:39 pm

Hello. Just stumbled across this site while on google bored. Just to let you know that there are Bashers still in Cornwall my dad comes from helston and so did his dad.

Bashers

Post by Bashers » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:42 pm

So has anyone found out where we got this surname from?

PilgrimFather

Post by PilgrimFather » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:01 am

The only member of the family whom I met was my great-uncle Randolph, the brother of my grandmother. I imagine this was 1970 or a touch before, in Hayle. My wife chuckles that I am related to "Randy Basher"... Not to mention the lovely Boadicea. Do either of these feature among your antecedents?

Ceallach

Post by Ceallach » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:21 pm

Nice to see the Basher thread coming to life again!

My grandfather's birth (Kenneth Basher) was also registered in Helston. Athough I think his family lived outside the town somewhere.

I found an old (12th century) law case from Somerset (?) that mentions the surname Basher and also uses the variant Boscher. This is on the web if anyone wants the link. Bosch is old Norman/Flemish for wood so it might have meant woodsman or forester. There is a place in South Wales called Bosherstown and various versions of the name are known in SE Ireland which was heavily settled by the Norman/Flemish. Of course it could also just have been a job title that got turned into a surname.

TBasher

Post by TBasher » Thu May 15, 2008 9:27 pm

My family originates from the Bashers around Helston. My grandfather was borne there. We have a family bible with a family tree beginning with a marriage in 1776. We were always told that the ancestor of the Cornish Bashers was a Breton sailor shipwrecked at Basher's Harbour (or Cove as I was originally told) and that he was one of two brothers in the wreck to be rescued and he stayed and married a farmer's daughter some time in the 17th century. My Dad's cousin did try to trace the Breton origins years ago and thought that the name may have originated as something like Bassiere? I would really like to get information further back that 1776 if anyone can help, thanks.