Alys in Pow an Anethow in Kernowek - Alices Adventures in Wonderland in Cornish

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
She

Post by She » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:08 pm

gokyreloaded said:
(extra prize for best dress).

wicked :-D

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:15 pm

That's for Pink Pasty, not me. I don't wear dresses.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:19 pm

The kind of Celts who love punch-ups with Saxons ('cause that's what they're for). I'd have thought that was obvious from this forum.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:37 pm

marhak said:
That's for Pink Pasty, not me. I don't wear dresses.

On the other hand, have you thought how you'd look in a Cornish kilt?

Goky might refer to it as a 'dress' or 'tartan frock', but what does a mere Canadian know about such Celtic sartorial niceties, eh?

Goky himself, though, might suit a pink kilt, don'cha think?!
:lol:

edited by: Eddie-C, Feb 06, 2009 - 02:38 PM

Taran

Post by Taran » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Cornish kilts??????? Cornish tartan??????

Never! That piper in Altarnun is wearing a belted tunic like nearly everyone else in Medieval Europe.

The tartan is twee and dates from the 1960s (I think) and the kilt is alien, actually the form worn now is a version of a British Army uniform.

Makes me cringe every time I see it.

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:59 pm

marhak said:
Tell you what, Conan - why don't you make a recording so that we can hear your geminates and half-length?

Martesen, mes nyns eus meur a dermyn genev.

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Taran said:
Cornish kilts??????? Cornish tartan??????

Never! That piper in Altarnun is wearing a belted tunic like nearly everyone else in Medieval Europe.

The tartan is twee and dates from the 1960s (I think) and the kilt is alien, actually the form worn now is a version of a British Army uniform.

Makes me cringe every time I see it.

Very popular in Cornwall these days though ...

http://www.cornish-tartans.co.uk/

there's at least one in the West Briton every week! This week I think I counted 3!

Taran

Post by Taran » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Horror! :-O
Why would any self respecting Cornishman want to wear an English army uniform (even one intended for Highland Scotsmen)?

edited by: Taran, Feb 06, 2009 - 04:24 PM

She

Post by She » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:41 pm

can you get these come in Cornish tartan?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:04 pm

Exactly right, Taran - the Altarnun church bench-end carving does indeed depict a medieval belted tunic, not a kilt. It didn't stop the inventionists from claiming it was proof of a Cornish kilt. (Sound familiar?)

The (long) kilt is a Gaelic item. Brythonic Celts never had them and they've never been part of Cornish culture. Not until 1967 when the idea was stolen and falsely promoted as "Cornish". I cringe at those who insist on stealing from someone else's culture, especially when we have a perfectly good culture of our own, even if it doesn't include kilts. It makes us as bad as "English" Heritage, who have stolen our culture, history and intellectual property. I cringe when I see Cornish people wearing them because they are presenting a false picture.

I have worn a kilt (and very comfortable they are, too) - that was a black ceremonial kilt and with my mother's side of the family being Scottish, I had every right to wear it (I'm also entitled to a very loud red tartan, by the way).

Tartans are not Cornish, either. Yes, I know, classical writters tell of Late Iron Age/Roman period Celts wearing multi-coloured woven cloth - but these were continental Celts, not British ones. Nor is this proof of tartan as such. No one ever bothered to describe British Celtic clothing.

I now expect at least one of the "Cornwallies" to say that the 1960s stolen idea of kilts and tartans is now part of Cornish culture. On that basis, Bardic robes will be as well, I suppose (even though they're loosely based on Roman togas and the total invention of an 18th century fraudster, forger and drug addict - Edward Williams - "Iolo Morgannwg").

edited by: marhak, Feb 06, 2009 - 05:13 PM

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:24 pm

The Cornish pipes were reconstructed from a bench-end carving (?the same one as the belted tunic?). They are, as far as I know, unique in style, but not all that unlike Northumbrian pipes with which they share a rather sweet sound, rather than the squealing, hoarse Scottish bagpipes which can only register a high note as a thin shriek. The sweetest of all are Irish Uilleian (I'll bet I've spelt that wrongly) pipes. On the available evidence, I think the Cornish pipes have a real claim to be truly Cornish.

edited by: marhak, Feb 06, 2009 - 05:25 PM