Alys in Pow an Anethow in Kernowek - Alices Adventures in Wonderland in Cornish

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:54 pm

marhak said:
... the squealing, hoarse Scottish bagpipes which can only register a high note as a thin shriek.

While I might hesitate to call a fellow (part-) Cornishman a 'Sasunnach' and him not Saxon at all, 'Gall' might just fit the bill for one who lacks the finer musical sensibilities necessary to appreciate the subtle sonority of this most noble of instruments.

marhak said:
The sweetest of all are Irish Uilleian (I'll bet I've spelt that wrongly) pipes.

Yep; try 'uilleann'! It seems 'Gall' is about right for you, a gaughwas truethek ha (pace Conan!) a Varbaryan!

marhak said:
On the available evidence, I think the Cornish pipes have a real claim to be truly Cornish.

Well, I have it on good authority that the carvers who created the pew ends at Altarnun were Italian, and that the bagpipe there depicted is actually the famous Italian 'zampogna'. Certainly, the double chanter is not found in any other native British species of bagpipe.

In other words, these 'Cornish' bagpipes are as 'Cornish' as the kilt so proudly worn today by so many patriotic Cornishmen!

So, there! Fy dhyso jy!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Barbarian, he calls me! Caughwas!!! Cut to the quick, so I am :-P .

No, Eddie, perhaps I do lack the finer musical sensibilties - but I do have a pair of lug'oles which tell me that the Scots bagpipes are not for me.

In any case I'm not a wind instrument man - give me a bloody good Mellotron any day. (A what?!!, I hear you say? Just Google "mellotronworks", click on any of the six classical pieces listed and stand by - everything you hear has been played by one man on a Mellotron 400. A Scotsman, too. Unbelievable).

A zampogna, you say, Eddie. Thought I'd just eaten one of those.

edited by: marhak, Feb 06, 2009 - 08:13 PM

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:26 am

It is well known in the Gàidhealtachd that the pipes are not only the most noble and mellifluous, but also the most nutritious, of instruments.

Del y lever an lavar coth Albanek dhyn,
'Tha biadh is ceòl an seo,' mar thubhairt an madadh ruadh, 's e 'ruith air falbh leis a' phìob.'

Hen yu,
'Yma megyans ha menestrouthy obma' del yn meth an lostek, hag ef orth ponya dhe ves gans an byb.

Taran

Post by Taran » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:01 pm

she said:
can you get these come in Cornish tartan?

Hmm..... I might be able to make an exception to my general disdain for Cornish kilts/Tartan if both form and content were similar to your post. ;)

However, I don't think it would work as well with a bloke in it, so as an item of men's apparel I have not moved my opinion.

Pennysquire

Post by Pennysquire » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Eddie-C said:

[quote=marhak]On the available evidence, I think the Cornish pipes have a real claim to be truly Cornish.

Well, I have it on good authority that the carvers who created the pew ends at Altarnun were Italian, and that the bagpipe there depicted is actually the famous Italian 'zampogna'. [/quote]

I am aware, Eddie, that you yourself are something of an authority on uilleann pipes and reedmaking.

I would be interested to know who is the authority you quote above.

- Penny

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:07 pm

But you're not allowed to be any sort of authority on Cornish, Eddie.

She

Post by She » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Taran, if you've got it, flaunt it ;)

Taran

Post by Taran » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:14 pm

I'm all in favour of that! :-)

Cawsando

Post by Cawsando » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:34 pm

I'm pleased to see that the differences in orthography are so minor (judging by the compared passage) that in the near future, when certain personalities are dead, the arguments will also be dead.

How old is Nicholas Williams? How often does he visit Kernow

And when was the last time he sat down with Ken George, and attempted to end difference with face to face dialogue?

Surely that's the most sensible way forward...

Pennysquire

Post by Pennysquire » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:02 pm

marhak said:
But you're not allowed to be any sort of authority on Cornish, Eddie.

I believe that Eddie is an uilleann piper and I know that he is a co-author of a book on the subject of reedmaking. Not being a piper (but loving the music, especially the uillean pipes, which must produce the most soulful music on the face of the earth) and never having heard him play I am not equipped to judge his competence or standing among pipers, but unless anyone gives me evidence to the contrary I am quite prepared to believe that he is an expert. He may be a good or even great player, in any event more power to his elbow (literally!).

I know rather more about the Cornish language than I do about uilleann pipes, and when beginners produce reams of opinion even before they have learned the basics of the language I am inclined to regard them as imposters, whatever their competence in other areas.

Eddie is obviously an odd person, but that doesn't mean that he has daft ideas about everything. Just Cornish, as far as I know.

- Penny

She

Post by She » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:04 pm

how about Williams and George jelly wrestling in tiny kilts, winner's system becomes the standard?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:27 pm

Do you mind, She? I've just had my tea! :-P

Conversely, Cawsando, George could wave the olive branch at Williams. In fact, they two were in the same room last Saturday but Ken kept as far away from Nicholas as he could get. Nicholas did have a long chat with Mick Paynter (and declared him to be an excellent chap). I had a civil chat with Julyan, who launched an astonishing verbal attack on Nicholas (not to his face, but to Michael Everson, with several of us sitiing there). Ken had a sly dig at me, which I ignored. Jory ignored us all. Keith and Pawl kept away. I had a great chat with Pol Hodge. Loveday was nice to Michael, so bridges are being built by several. It's just a few who are holding out. The overall atmosphere, though, was vastly improved.

Hey, Penny, you surprise me, being so good at blowing your own trumpet. 8-)

edited by: marhak, Feb 07, 2009 - 05:37 PM

She

Post by She » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:46 pm

marhak said:
Hey, Penny, you surprise me, being so good at blowing your own trumpet.

must be very supple ;)

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:59 pm

Has to be. No one else would blow it for him. :evil:

She

Post by She » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:17 pm

Tenga might!

seem to be drifting off topic