Lyver Pejadow rag Kenyver Jorna - Cornish Daily Prayer

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:51 pm

You wanted a parayer book in Cornish. You got a prayer book in Cornish. Quit griping.

Fatwa? We don't want to hurt you guys. We're entertained enough watching you do it to yourselves.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:44 pm

gokyreloaded said:

Please attempt to have a little respect for the Rev. Phillips' book, as it is Eastertide. Thank you

Does KS have a different calander, I thought it was still Lent ?!

I used "tide" loosely, to mean "season", as I would with "Yuletide" which I consider to apply to the run up to Yule as well as the days following.

Evidently "tide" is used differently for these holidays. The OED sayeth:

Eastertide, time, the church season of Easter, either Easter Sunday, or the Sunday with the following days until Ascensiontide.

Yuletide, the season of Yule, Christmas-tide.

I thank the Little Weasel for his derision, which has taught me something about usage. :-O

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:45 pm

gokyreloaded said:
Is it inclusive? like those modern prayer books they have now? what form of Evening prayer is it, will Catholics be offended?

Yes, it is "inclusive" in that Andy is an ecumenical sort of minister.

Why not buy the book and see for yourself? :-)

Morvran

Post by Morvran » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:32 am

Palores said:
[quote=gokyreloaded]Does God understondya KS,???

His omniscience includes even works of the Devil.[/quote]

The Devil is in the Diacritics?

Morvran

Post by Morvran » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:51 am

gokyreloaded said:
12 Ebrel, Gwren ni cana!

Jhesus Cryst re dhassorghas,Alleluya
Hedhyu agan deth go mas, Alleluya
Neb unwyth yn an grows-pren,Alleluya
A dhasprenas coll o dhyn, Alleluya

The correct expression is of course yn krows-prenn and it's attested, though I can't be bothered to look it up just now.

go gives a soft or sometimes aspirate mutation, so go vaz. Only 'fairly good' ??

The syntax of the last two lines is a bit tortured, and the rhyme is truly crucified. Shouldn't it be y tasprenas? And no way would dhyn have rhymed with prenn even if the last was unstressed.

Where did this come from. Is it unreconstructed Nancian Cornic?

CowethasPeranSans

Post by CowethasPeranSans » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:44 pm

For information, Cornish Daily Prayer will be launched after the 3pm Cornish Language church service at Crowan on Sunday 19th April. Copies can of course be purchased then and should be available in Books Plus, Penzance and Truro Christian Bookshop soon afterwards. It is available via Amazon and direct from us - see www.peran.org.uk.

We very much hope the launch of this book will be seen as a positive contribution towards encouraging the daily usage of Cornish language.

We should point out we do not support any one particular orthography over and above others. We are willing to work with proponants of all orthograpies in the development and promotion of prayers and liturgies.

Gans pub bennath

Morvran

Post by Morvran » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Nevertheless, from a practical POV it would seem to be sensible to print books in the systems that have an established and proven following, namely KK (large majority) and UC (reasonable minority), both of which are well established and stable. What is the point of publishing in new and unstable forms with no proven take-up? Only as a propaganda exercise to promote those forms and their backers.