MAGA conference

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
pietercharles

Re: MAGA conference

Post by pietercharles » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Marhak a skrifas:
No response from "Pieter" then, to two very simple questions: how many MAGA conferences has he/she attended, and just what work has he/she done for the language?
No way am I going to indulge in self-back-slapping, Marhak.

I'll leave that to others.

It would bore you anyway.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:36 pm

pietercharles wrote:..........no sane members of the revival will come to C24 to defend themselves or the organisations they work for. Not surprisingly.
Without taking sides here, in terms of yourself, the above statement would indicate what........?

We really need to get a smiley of a man walking slyly away with his hands behind his back, whistling.
That's him who's whistling, not his hands.

Or a spinning spoon, of the wooden variety.
Whistling.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

Kathlovenn

Post by Kathlovenn » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Igerys yw an seson arta, dell hevel!

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:50 pm

pietercharles wrote:Looks like Marhak now has Holyer an Gof firmly in his sights - his comments about the competition have nothing to do with the subject of this thread - the MAGA conference.

In amongst his self-back-slapping posts and suggestions of fantasising and drawing unwarranted conclusions, one very serious allegation is being made. And that is:
At this year's Holyer an Gof, one submitted book was rejected because, according to one judge,
it was not in SWF.
There's no way we can ever get to the truth of this allegation, of course, but you have to ask how something so unacceptable could have happened.
This looks suspiciously like another Marhakism, to add to the rich store of Authenticist urban legends!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Kevrenor

Post by Kevrenor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:50 pm

Anyone want to stop playing silly buggers and actually talk about the conference?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Very verbose, "Pieter", much as usual, as is your ad hominem attack. Now how about answering my two, very simple questions.

Re: Holyer an Gof - the publisher in question had, in my view, a right to be dismayed and I felt extremely sorry for that person and the effort that had been put in fruitlessly. And, yes, I was shown a copy of the judges' comments, just as I had sight of my own entries (a few comments were amusing). I have no personal grind with H an G, and just hope their judges in the Cornish language category get the rules right in future. As for my attitude to H an G, two High Commendations in 2 years hardly gives me grounds for a personal grudge, does it? Not that I'll be entering in future. My last book was my last book. No more writing. 14 books is enough. Am concentrating on music these days (see TK's musical talent thread). Much more relaxing.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:53 pm

As for the MAGA conference, I've heard very little about it from those who did attend, so unlikely to have been too remarkable.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:39 am

Of course, the whole point of my mention of Holyer an Gof has been missed, one suspects deliberately. It was to illustrate the alarming exclusion of traditional graph SWF when the Treyarnon agreement was that, officialdom and early stages of education apart, the traditional graph SWF and the "main" form were to have equal status. Increasingly, I'm hearing "that's not SWF", when it clearly is. Haven't we all had enough of exclusionist policies? For the good of the language, I want SWF to work, but it will not do so if exclusion of an agreed form is practised. It will merely create another divide, perhaps resulting in som parties walking away from the SWF, with disastrous results for the language. MAGA needs to examine and rectify this situation very carefully indeed.

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 pm

In answer to Kevrenor, the MAGA conference was great and really interesting. Jenefer Lowe introduced it and talked about putting a new management team in place based on choosing people that have useful skills rather than having reps from the language groups. It's on the front page of the MAGA newsletter and it will be interesting to see what difference it makes. Elizabeth Stewart talked about projects with lots of details that nobody was aware of like work with guides and scouts. She also talked about the Tamm ha Tamm lessons that are a big hit with Cornwall TV. You should watch them if you can but I don't know how to put a link here to them, perhaps someone else could. Nev Meek talked a lot about the Signage Panel which was really interessting because he talked about some of the problems they face trying to work out the best words to use. And he talked about large organisations he is talking to to get them to use Cornish. More power to his elbow. Tony Hak talked about the work of the corpus group. There will be a SWF dictionary online by the end of the year and it was interesting to hear that the review of the SWF in 2013 is already being planned.And he talked about some of the difficulties the translation team has with new words and translating fancy English. Mike and Pol talked about the brilliant work they are doing in schools and stuff forhelping teachers. There's too much to put it all here.
There was a really funny launch of the new Porth by Will Coleman and Pol Hodge. It looks better than the previous versioin I think.
In the afternoon the guest speaker from Jersey taked about what they are doing there to keep their language Jeriais alive and promote it. It was really fascinating and worth listening to but I'm not surew what lessons we can pick up from it. It's probably most about keeping in touch with other minority languages.
There were quite a lot of people there but it's a shame there weren't more because it's a good opportunity to talk to people you don't normally meet, particular ly from other language groups. There were SWF, Kemmyn, Unified and Late people there all mixing together without any trouble (apart from the Very Important Person who sat away from the rest of us at the back of the hall throughout the mornings presentations tapping away on his laptop. God knows what the presenters thought. How rude can you be? Must have been bored like Marhak. I personally like to hear what MAGA and the other groups have been doing and don't think it is back slapping at all. But it's little wonder that people don't go to events like this where everyone mixes and works together when you get postings on a public forum saying that last year the event was too much back slapping (it wasn't) and was so boring (it wasn't) that the opportunity was taken to walk out and leave early. No wonder we've still got a long way to go with pullin ghe groups together when we're up against that kind of attitude. What planet are some people on?
Sorry to end a bit negatively but some of uswould like to see a bit more encouragement and a lot less of the grumpy old men that aree doing us no favours.

Kathlovenn

Post by Kathlovenn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:05 pm

You can hear some of it on Radyo an Gernewegva

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Now I've made a dish o' tay and had a think about it, the other good news from Eliazabeth was that they are also working on Kan for Kernow to enter a song for the Pan Celtic song competition and Radio Cornwall is going to prmote the competition by playing the songs on the radio. And the pack MAGA put together for Pyrantide was really successful so they are going to do another one for schools for Christmas with a play and carols and recipes. I've probably forgotten lots of other things too so perhaps someone else can fill in the gaps.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Jenny wrote:There were quite a lot of people there but it's a shame there weren't more because it's a good opportunity to talk to people you don't normally meet, particularly from other language groups. There were SWF, Kemmyn, Unified and Late people there all mixing together without any trouble (apart from the Very Important Person who sat away from the rest of us at the back of the hall throughout the mornings presentations tapping away on his laptop. God knows what the presenters thought. How rude can you be? Must have been bored like Marhak.
Why be so coy? In your posting from February 2009 you attacked me and Nicholas by name. Why not do so now? Not that it matters, since you won't ever admit who you are.

I have never been at a Cornish-language event without a laptop. I take notes with it. Some readers on this forum may remember the extensive notes I took at the Tremough conference which were subsequently published on this forum and others for the benefit of Revivalists who could not attend.

I do not apologize for bringing a laptop to an event nor for using one while there. I sat at the back of the room because it is more comfortable to have a laptop on a table than to have a laptop one one's lap.

Give over, "Jenny".

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Jenny wrote:In the afternoon the guest speaker from Jersey taked about what they are doing there to keep their language Jeriais alive and promote it. It was really fascinating and worth listening to but I'm not surew what lessons we can pick up from it. It's probably most about keeping in touch with other minority languages.
One of the lessons was the worrying one that the Cornish Revival and the Jèrriais have speaker communities of comparable sizes and fragility.

It was great to meet Tony from Jersey. I had previously been in contact with his colleague Geraint who is finalizing his Jèrriais translation of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and who told me today he has begun work on Through the Looking-Glass. I'm delighted to say that Evertype will be publishing both books.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:40 pm

That seems to be a very, very, carefully worded response about your laptop, Evertype. Perhaps even coy.

It doesn't actually say that you were taking notes about the Conference itself.

Of course, if you were taking notes about the Conference then it would be good for you to publish them on this forum, and others, for the benefit of Revivalists who could not attend. Indeed, you could have answered Kevrenor's question yourself instead of leaving it to "Jenny".

It's just that I was told that you couldn't possibly have been taking notes about the Conference because, well, never mind, let's assume that you were. I'm sure everyone is now looking forward to seeing them.